Client: St Vincent’s Health Network Sydney
Location: Darlinghurst, NSW
Start date: Nov 2019
End date: Apr 2021
Donnelly Constructions was appointed as Construction Management to undertake a full review and fire compliance upgrade, this included commission and final certification to an existing 4 storey Health Facility. The works also included new ceilings, floor finishes and painting.
Works were required to be critically staged to reduce overall impact on the operational facility.
Primary services undertaken during the works included.
- Emergency and exit lighting upgrade
- New MSB and increased electrical supply
- Sprinkler system and pumps
- Hydrant system including Sydney Water connection on other side of extremely busy one-way street
- Electronic Fire detection including pre-action and VESDA
- Fire/Smoke dampers retrofit to all existing mechanical ductwork
- Fire/smoke wall compliance works including all wall and soffit penetrations, with regular review with Fire Engineer and BCA consultants
The prospect of working in a live hospital environment always poses a challenge to a project. This was an eight-stage program and the whole facility remained successfully operational throughout. A series of works was required to be completed after normal working hours, to ensure the least disruption was caused.
The Covid-19 lockdown and subsequent restrictions posed a serious challenge to both the Hospital management, medical staff and site staff. Donnelley Constructions site team’s ability to communicate with all stakeholders in all situations saw them manage the above challenges to ensure a smooth and safe delivery was achieved.